[Air-l] CFP for AoIR 6: Internet Generations

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 3 10:28:18 PDT 2004

Having wrapped up AoIR 5, it's time to think about next year. I am the
program chair for next year and invite you to join us in Chicago, USA for
AoIR 6. The CFP is below. Conference location within Chicago and conference
coordinates on the the web will be announced as they become available.

Please forward this CFP to others with an interest in Internet Research.

/Caroline Haythornthwaite

Call for Papers - IR 6.0: INTERNET GENERATIONS

International and Interdisciplinary Conference of the Association of
Internet Researchers

Chicago, Illinois, USA

October 5 - 9, 2005

Workshops: October 5, 2005

AoIR conference: October 6 - 9, 2005

Deadline for submissions: February 1, 2005. Submission instructions will be
announced soon.

INTERNET GENERATIONS

The Internet has been a rapidly evolving phenomenon, so much so that we may
talk about generations of the Internet. With everything moving faster in
'Internet time,' we have arguably spanned many technological Internet
generations within a single human generation: from the birth of computing to
the first online communications; from the beginnings of email to the
enriched worlds of chat, virtual worlds and mobile text messaging; from the
workplace to home and school; from optional to all-but-mandatory; and from
mainframe to desktop to laptop to mobile devices.

We can also talk about contextual Internet generations, from the early
pioneers who count themselves among those communicating online before the
1980s; to the early adopters of the 1980s in university and proprietary
systems; to latecomers finding the need to adopt computing and technology
use as part of their daily work; to the current and coming generations that
will not know a time without a computer in the household, a mobile phone in
their hand, and a lap- or palmtop and an MP3 player an essential part of
their daily wear.

This massive change in technologies, and in work and social practices
suggests many avenues of interest for Internet research.

CALL FOR PAPERS

   We call for papers from a wide perspective of disciplines, methodologies,
and communities. We invite papers that address the theme of Internet
Generations including TOPICS such as:

- Histories of the Internet: human, social, technical, and/or cultural
stories and histories
  - Internet use by generation, e.g., by era of technology, by children and
seniors, or by age of user, etc.
  - Individual, group, organizational, or community use, adoption, or
diffusion of the Internet and its practices
  - Development in use of languages, new vocabularies, social roles, rules,
and etiquette
  - Societal impacts of and on the Internet and its evolution
  - Perspectives on the Internet and social change in a changing world
  - Internet expansion across divides, borders, nationalities, etc.
  - Mapping the course of Internet connectivity
  - Prospects for the future: Next generation Internet

We invite submissions for papers, panels, and demonstrations of work on
topics related to the conference theme of Internet Generations. Sessions at
the conference will be established that specifically
address the conference theme. We particularly call for innovative, exciting,
and unexpected takes on the conference theme. We also welcome submissions on
topics that address social, cultural, political, economic, and/or aesthetic
aspects of the Internet beyond the conference theme. In all cases, we
welcome disciplinary and interdisciplinary submissions as well as
international collaborations from both AoIR and non-AoIR members.

GRADUATE STUDENT PROPOSALS AND PARTICIPATION

We strongly encourage submissions of proposals from graduate students, and
papers for consideration for a special Student Award. Students should note
their student status with submission. Students
wishing to be a candidate for the Student Award must send a full final paper
to the conference organizers by June 1, 2005.

PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS

We invite proposals for a limited number of pre-conference workshops which
will provide participants with in-depth, hands-on and/or creative
opportunities. Proposals should be no more than 1000 words, and should
clearly outline the purpose, methodology, structure, participant costs,
equipment and minimal attendance required, as well as  the relevance of the
workshop to the conference as a whole. Proposals will be accepted if they
demonstrate that the workshop will add significantly to the overall program
in terms of thematic depth, hands-on experience, or local opportunities for
scholarly or artistic connections.

CONTACT INFORMATION

If you have questions about the conference, program, or AoIR, please contact
the following people. Please use a subject line that clearly distinguishes
your message for spam!

Program Chair: Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu - Inquiries on
conference content: paper submissions, reviewing, paper organization

Conference Site Coordinator: Steve Jones sjones at uic.edu - Inquiries on
meeting rooms, audiovisual equipment, conference site

AoIR President: Nancy Baym, University of Kansas, nbaym at ku.edu - Inquiries
regarding the Association of Internet Researchers and sponsorship

Association Website: http://www.aoir.org