[Air-l] AoIR conference venues

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Oct 4 08:23:47 PDT 2004

Everyone,

We have every intention of diversifying our conference locations in
years to come. As has been pointed out, it is worth remembering that
in 2000, just 4 years ago, we were amazed that people actually came
to Lawrence Kansas for our first meeting. We are seeking to balance
the desire/need to have true global reach and accessability with
managing our limited resources and assuring that we are in a location
where enough people will in fact come to make it financially viable
(and not too expensive for attendees).

There has been and is a good deal of very intense discussion on the
executive committee regarding how to assess financial risk, and how
to do that balancing so that we can, in fact, meet outside North
America and Europe. We have no intention of limiting our meetings to
North America and Western Europe forever.

We will be having a poll up before too long seeking input from all of
you on this crucial issue.

Nancy

>Hi,
>
>The cities I mentioned as possible conference venues are just examples. Of
>course Budapest is a nice city and I am pretty sure that Chicago is one too.
>My point is, that we should start including other, in many respects
>marginalized, regions of the world in the diverse discourses about the
>internet. And having a conference in an, e.g., non-English speaking country
>of the South would signal that research from outside Europe and Northamerica
>is welcomed and recognised. As internet usage shifts from Northamerica and
>Western Europe to Asia and Latin America, researchers need to establish and
>renew networks and bonds to these regions.
>
>Cheers,
>Philipp
>
>--
>Philipp Budka
>philbu at gmx.net
>Rustengasse 5/10
>A-1150 Wien, Austria
>http://www.philbu.net
>http://www.lateinamerika-studien.at
>--
>
>+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
>Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Nancy Baym	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas
Bailey Hall, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 102, Lawrence, KS 66045-7574, USA
Association of Internet Researchers: http://aoir.org