[Air-l] AoIR conference venues

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Mon Oct 4 22:43:52 PDT 2004

On Oct 4, 2004, at 11:42 PM, Sarah Stewart wrote:

> Hello
>
> If I want to visit the USA, I have to make a trip (which involves an
> air
> flight, and at least one day away from home/work) and get my visa
> organised face-to-face - I cant just send off a form. That adds
> considerable time and expense to a planned trip to the USA

Are you a New Zealander?

If so then can't you arrive under the visa waiver process and avoid
getting a visa at all?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/tempvisitors_novisa_waiver.html#2

The visa-waiver program is quite specific about attending conferences
being an acceptable activity (scroll down that page a bit).

If not a new zealander then forgive me for assuming from your address
;) I thought it might add a little breadth to the discussion.  Of
course this waiver program is not much help to many around the world
that would make valuable contributions ...

And without trying to take away from the valuable feedback about how
hard and expensive it is to just get a visa to get to conferences in
the states I will just mention that the photograph and fingerprinting
process is all electronic (no ink etc) and, in my experience as an
ex-pat Australian on a student visa, pretty quick, if a little odd at
first.

--
James Howison
PhD Student