[Air-l] Why not make Aoir 5.0 "Virtual conference"?

Bernie Hogan bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 5 20:55:08 PDT 2004

If you all would be interested in interactive presentations, with chat
rooms, power point and streaming video, feel free to check out the open
source videocasting suite developed at UofT - ePresence. (www.epresence.tv)

I have been working with the system for the past two years and quite enjoy
it. Don't know about how difficult it would be to cast and archive an entire
conference, I have edited the archives for the Knowledge Media Design
Institute's open source conference in may (
http://www.epresence.tv/website_archived.aspx?dir=May~9-11,~2004:~Open~Sourc
e~and~Free~Software:~Concepts,~Controversies~and~Solutions ) and it was a
hell of a lot of work - with about 30 hours of streaming presentations and Q
& A.

It would be nice for key notes etc... At the OS conference we would take
questions from the virtual audience through a mic set up near the front and
a live moderator.

Jeremy, I think you might be the person to talk to Peter Wolf
(wolfpet at kmdi.utoronto.ca) about the costs and time involved in setting up a
system. Labor and infrastructure may cost but the program itself is free
(you'll need to but a helix licence to stream Real Player - ePresence
streams in mp4 though, and I'm not sure the cost of Windows Media).

Take Care,
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
Ph.D. Student
Department of Sociology
[NetLab, Knowledge Media Design Institute]
University of Toronto
--
Reply to Bernie.Hogan at Utoronto.Ca