[Air-l] online job searches

Sandra C. Bavasso Roffo scbr at sinectis.com.ar
Wed Oct 6 22:00:54 PDT 2004

Hi Tracy (et al),

I do work for an online job board in the States (and before that for a Latin
American job board) and in my experience there are not too many studies
about the "how".

In what has to do with the "if", yes, people do use the internet for job
hunting, but there enourmous differences between countries, levels of
"online exposure/skills" among job seekers (and those levels -expert, medium
and novice have a terrible influence in the "how") and last but not least
between professions..., i.e. in a study made by the Florida Hospital
Association in 2001 they do find the online recruitment as one of the most
effective ones (see page 4 of http://www.fha.org/acrobat/findingnurses.pdf )
what is amazing considering is not a profession so much "online" as IT's,
for example. Other professions, like lawyers or architects are not so active
online for jobhunting -not so demanded by online job postings.

There are also some few references (mostly percentage of use for...) at the
UCLA Internet report from 2001
(http://ccp.ucla.edu/pdf/UCLA-Internet-Report-2001.pdf , pages 18 and 27)

Jupiter research (www.jupiteresearch.com) has also some studies about use of
online Job Boards but sadly they are not for free (and most of them seem to
analyze the recruiter's use of the online tools and not so much the job
seekers use of them).

If you have more specific questions, feel free to contact me directly. I
would be glad to help with some insights if you are interested in the
usability side (my area) but I believe that it would be better to do it
off-list in order to avoid boring the rest of the group. :)

I hope this helps, best regards,

Sandra

PS: sorry for my English that is not my native language.