[Air-l] AoIR conference venues

Cristian Berrío Zapata cristianberrioz at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 06:20:04 PDT 2004

Taking into account the comment made about Digital Divide enforcement
when talking about the conference location, I think you are missing one
point: for developed countries citizens due to many factors, paying
transportation and accommodations wherever in the world is viable. For
us, citizens from the undeveloped world (aren't we about 75% of the
population?), not only we have trouble getting into any country (being
Colombian I have to obtain visa even to enter hell), but the more
important: professionals and academics working the topic here have not
the income level to pay for their logistics.

In the end, somehow, whether conscious or not, we are promoting the
Digital Divide barrier as third world people would have high economical,
political and even linguistic barriers to reach the conference.

So here I claim again, why not thinking on ICT solutions to this
logistic problem? I suggest that AOIR conference must thin seriously
about this.

Cristian Berrío Zapata
Profesor PUJ - UNAL
Facultad de Economía