[Air-l] ethics and Marx

J. J. japeks at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 10:16:54 PDT 2004

The bickering about who is a crook and who isn’t is deeply rooted in Western
tradition:

“The bourgeoisie, wherever it has got the upper hand, has put an end to all
feudal, patriarchal, idyllic relations. It has pitilessly torn asunder the
motley feudal ties that bound man to his "natural superiors", and has left
no other nexus between man and man than naked self-interest, than callous
"cash payment". It has drowned out the most heavenly ecstasies of religious
fervour, of chivalrous enthusiasm, of philistine sentimentalism, in the icy
water of egotistical calculation. It has resolved personal worth into
exchange value, and in place of the numberless indefeasible chartered
freedoms, has set up that single, unconscionable freedom — Free Trade. In
one word, for exploitation, veiled by religious and political illusions, it
has substituted naked, shameless, direct, brutal exploitation.
The bourgeoisie has stripped of its halo every occupation hitherto honored
and looked up to with reverent awe. It has converted the physician, the
lawyer, the priest, the poet, the man of science, into its paid wage
laborers.
The bourgeoisie has torn away from the family its sentimental veil, and has
reduced the family relation into a mere money relation.”

Marx, Communist Manifesto (1848)
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1848/communist-manifesto/ch01.htm

Jarek