[Air-l] popular culture and Internet practices

Kevin Leander kevin.leander at vanderbilt.edu
Sun Oct 17 20:01:58 PDT 2004

Hello,

I've been browsing this list for some time but haven't posted. I
admire the work of a number of people on the list and am happy to see
it running. I've been thinking lately about the relations between
popular culture and internet practices. In particular, I'm interested
in how youth draw on widely circulating (more global) texts while
simultaneously being involved in producing these texts in, sometimes,
surprisingly new ways. This interest especially came up with one
youth I've been researching who is involved in building a new online
game with others from different countries. I keep thinking about the
different popular cultural texts he is drawing on, while he is also
an active producer of culture. Anyway, I'm wondering if others on
this list could point me in the direction of work that considers
forms of activity of consuming and (re)producing popular culture with
digital practices. My apologies if this is old ground on the list.

Kevin
--
Kevin Leander, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University