[Air-l] Re: online job searches

Eszter Hargittai lists04 at eblogle.com
Wed Oct 6 20:00:52 PDT 2004

> Can anyone point me in the direction of articles published about how (or
> if?) people use the internet to search for jobs? I seem to come across a
> lot on telework, but not necessarily people looking for employment.

Kuhn, Peter and Skuterud, Mikal. 2004. Internet Job Search and
Unemployment Durations. The American Economic Review. 94(1):218-232

Abstract: Using the December 1998 and August 2000 CPS Computer and
Internet Supplements matched with subsequent CPS files, we ask which types
of unemployed workers looked for work on line and whether Internet
searchers became reemployed more quickly. In our data, Internet searchers
have observed characteristics that are typically associated with shorter
unemployment spells, and do spend less time unemployed. This unemployment
differential is however eliminated and in some cases reversed when we hold
observable characteristics constant. We conclude that either Internet job
search is ineffective in reducing unemployment durations, or Internet job
searchers are negatively selected on unobservables.

I also have a related paper in the works (an in-depth study of methods and
the relevance of skill in the process), but I'm afraid it's not ready for
circulation yet (I'd be happy to discuss it off-list though).  I hope that
citation is helpful.

Eszter

---
http://www.eszter.northwestern.edu