[Air-l] Why not make Aoir 5.0 "Virtual conference"?

Nancy White nancy.white at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 10:27:32 PDT 2004

>A combined venture would be an interesting experience, which needs however a
lot of extra organisational effort. Just to do it for those few who have
registred but didn't make would not be efficient. If we want to do it then it
should be an event (or series of events) in its own right.

If any one is interested in first hand account of doing a virtual
event coupled w/ F2F event, I was part of a team (out of
http://www.bigmindmedia.com) who did this recently for the
International Appreciative Inquiry Conference. We learned a *lot* of
lessons. There is definitely possibility in this practice to link up
those who would not otherwise be able to come F2F (cost, visas, etc.)
The biggest questions I came out of it were:

* We can design a pretty damn good experience capturing the F2F for
the distributed participatns. Do we want to and if so how do we do the
reverse for the F2F? (Goes to fraccination of the audience?)

* What did we learn from both elements that would inform design of
group events in general (online and offline) - in other words, what
past assumptions can we see in a new light? (LOTS here)

* What does it really cost (we are working on that number now.)

If you want to know more, feel free to contact me offllist.