[Air-l] Why not make Aoir 5.0 "Virtual conference"?

Bernie Hogan bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 6 21:41:58 PDT 2004

[note - I just saw Jeremy's post as I was about to hit send - I'll send
anyway!]

Webcasting is great in spirit, but its a very expensive business, and would
take the conference budget away from more pressing needs, like internet
support for conference attendees, renting laptops for presentations etc....
Even videotaping and archiving the presentations is not cheap, mic rental
must be factored in, as must technical support. And it is logistically
complex.

At present, the paper archive for each conference year is a great resource
on the cheap (and its made me the #1 google search for "media multiplexity",
surely because people are linking to that site in general).

Finally, there is the sort of social constructivist concern about recording
sessions. It alters the dynamics of what can and will take place in the
room, there is more surveillance, which can be good or bad, and there's a
record, which will memorialize slips, bad presentations and all sorts of
technical details.

I like the idea of webcasting or archiving certain lectures, say keynotes or
memorials, but overall its tough stuff, even for the most well organized and
funded outfits.

You'll note that Kylie Veale wrote the message below on 10/7/04 12:25 AM.