[Air-l] Residential mobility and technology use

Laura O'Grady l.ogrady at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 18 09:59:05 PDT 2004

Hi Irina,

>I am a graduate student in HCI at Carnegie Mellon University and am
>starting my dissertation on the topic of residential mobility as a natural
>experiment on the health of social ties (how people use/don't use
>technology for keeping in touch and creating new relationships and whether

There is some research in HIV/AIDS that shows strong reliance on technology
to share treatment information.  Your work might be easier if you picked a
particular illness and looked at the literature from that point of view.

>they are successful). I am specifically interested in migration within
>country, not international migration. I was wondering if anyone knows of

Also within HIV/AIDS, many migrate to large cities as these tend to have
speciality clinics, more social services and community resources.  I don't
know of any literature on this, the information is more anecdotal.

Laura
_

Laura O'Grady
Ph.D. Candidate