[Air-l] re: post about popular culture and Internet practices

Susannah Stern sternsu at bc.edu
Mon Oct 18 18:08:39 PDT 2004

Hi Kevin,

Some of my research (citations below) has addressed the ways in which young people appropriate/transform symbols and artifacts from popular culture into their own online productions (especially personal home pages).  These articles may be relevant to the work you are doing.  You might also look into work by Daniel Chandler (UK) and David Buckingham (UK).

I'd love to learn more about your research on online youth creations as you proceed with your project.
Best,
Susannah

Stern, S. (2004).  Expressions of identity online: Prominent features and gender differences in adolescents’ WWW home pages.  Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 48(2).

Stern, S.  (2002). Virtually speaking: Girls’ self-disclosure on the WWW.  Women’s Studies in Communication, 25(2), 223-253.

Stern, S.  (2002).  Sexual selves on the World Wide Web: Adolescent girls’ homepages as sites for sexual self-expression.  In J. Brown, J. Steele, & K. Walsh-Childers (Eds.) Sexual Teens/Sexual Media: Investigating Media’s Influence on Adolescent Sexuality (pp. 265-286).  NJ:  Lawrence Erlbaum & Associates.

Stern, S. (1999).  Adolescent girls' expression on WWW home pages: A qualitative analysis.  Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 5(4), 22-41.

Susannah Stern, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication Studies
University of San Diego