[Air-l] Hungarian and others

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Tue Oct 5 09:27:53 PDT 2004

> I agree with your sentiment, but I think your information is out of
> date. The percentage of Websites in English is probably in the range of
> 60-65%, or perhaps even less by now --- still out of proportion to
> speakers of English, but far less than 97%.

Some statistical work was done for UNESCO here last year that indicates
that there is vastly less language diversity on the internet than is
routinely claimed.

And I'm talking about whole orders of magnitude of difference, here, not
just a few percentage points.

Don't believe the numbers provided by companies like Jupiter MediaMetrix
and Nielsen Netratings.  They're garbage, biased heavily toward the goals
of the corporations (in the case of Jupiter and its offspring, the sale of
"translation services" benefits from the belief that the internet is
linguistically diverse..).

Sorry that I can't provide a citation just yet; I know that the work I'm
referring to is still under revision.

--elijah