[Air-l] minorities

Enrique S enrique.s at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:54:13 PDT 2004

Hi all,

As I'm new at this list, first I'll briefly introduce myself. I'm just
a phd student from Argentina, in USA, studying intercultural -and
multilingual- online communities and I found this debate very
interesting. But as a Spanish-speaking researcher I think I can say a
pair of things about this issue.
Language is an obstacle even for those *very few* fortunate like me
that can read, write, listen and speak English in a more or less
acceptable level. But, even more, there are many excellent researchers
 in the world, specially those older and more experienced, for whom
English is an absolute barrier, and because of that the mainstream
research can't get their outcomes.

I agree with Jarek that priorities are first, budget second. What is a
sustainable project worth for without goals? But priorities are so
difficult to agree with when parts don't share backgrounds, and
perspectives.

Unfortunately, we know there are no easy solutions for the old problem
originated in Babel (talking about the Iraqi region... ;-). But as a
start, I would humbly suggest to all English-speakers to make the
effort of learning at least one foreign language and travel to a
country were they have to use it to survive. That's an excelllent
learning experience for anybody. Feeling what's to be 'minority' for a
moment may help them to understand the need of addressing the language
problem.

Regards, saludos,

Enrique Stanziola
U of Maryland, Baltimore County