[Air-l] Why not make Aoir 5.0 "Virtual conference"?

Nentwich, Michael mnent at oeaw.ac.at
Wed Oct 6 01:19:27 PDT 2004

> As we are all researchers on the "virtual world", why should we still keep
> to the old, pre-Internet tradition of holding an annual conference in a "real
> venue," but not in a "virtual venue"?

Please have a look at my paper presented IN SUSSEX (sic!) on exactly this
topic. My conclusion was (and still is) that we will probably meet for ever in
real space (for a variety of reasons):
Nentwich, M., 2004, Ubiquitous cyberscience? On the limits to the
virtualisation of research in the digital age, IR 5.0 "Ubiquity?" 19.-22.9.,
Brighton. (hopefully up for download in the members area of the aoir website
soon)

> What I suggest is that Aoir 5.0 could select one "real venue," and at the
> same time, set up a "virtual venue" for those who have registered, but for
> whatever reasons (be entry regulations, cost consideration, busy schedules,
> hurricanes, etc..)
> could not come to the "real venue" to participate, specially for panel
> discussions.

A combined venture would be an interesting experience, which needs however a
lot of extra organisational effort. Just to do it for those few who have
registred but didn't make would not be efficient. If we want to do it then it
should be an event (or series of events) in its own right.

Cheers,
Michael

M. Nentwich
http://eiop.or.at/mn/