[Air-l] research chair at the University of Toronto

Greg Elmer gelmer at ryerson.ca
Thu Oct 7 08:16:20 PDT 2004

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO AT MISSISSAUGA

Canada Research Chair at the advanced Associate or Full Professor level in communication, culture and technology.

The University of Toronto at Mississauga (UTM) invites applications for an Associate or Full Professor to be cross-appointed to the Communication, Culture and Information Technology (CCIT) program and a department in the humanities or social sciences.  The successful candidate will be nominated for a Tier I Chair in the prestigious Canada Research Chair Program <http://www.chairs.gc.ca>. These federally endowed chairs are open to all nationalities.

We are looking for a scholar with a record of excellence in teaching and research who is interested in any area of research that relates to communication, culture, and technology, including areas such as the social impact of communication technologies; human-computer interaction; sociology or philosophy of science and technology; gender and technology; qualitative methodologies; and philosophy of mind.  Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

The innovative CCIT programs are housed in the new CCIT building, which will open September 2004 and contain multimedia laboratories, video and sound recording studios, and other state-of-the-art equipment that permits researchers to study a wide range of topics related to communication, culture and information technology (see http://ccit.utm.utoronto.ca/).

The University of Toronto at Mississauga offers the opportunity to conduct research, teach and live in one of the most cosmopolitan areas in the world.  Located in the City of Mississauga on the western border of Toronto, UTM is one of three campuses of the University of Toronto.  It is a research-intensive institution with an interdisciplinary commitment, a multicultural student body, and a modern and spacious campus. Extensive expansion is projected to occur at UTM over the next 10 years, bringing with it many new positions in a range of disciplines and interdisciplinary areas.

Interested applicants should submit a curriculum vitae and a statement of research and teaching interests by November 1, 2004, to Professor Cheryl Misak, Dean, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road North, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L5L 1C6 and arrange for three letters of reference to be sent.

The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community.  The University especially welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to further diversification of ideas.

Madeleine Weiler
Administrative Assistant
Department of Sociology
University of Toronto at Mississauga
Mississauga, Ontario   L5L 1C6
Telephone:  905-828-5395
Fax:  905-569-4611
e-mail:  mweiler at utm.utoronto.ca

Greg Elmer, PhD
Bell Globemedia Research Chair
Rogers Communications Centre/School of Radio-TV Arts
Ryerson University
350 Victoria Street, Toronto, Ontario
Canada      M5B 2K3
Co-Editor,
Space and Culture: An International Journal of Social Spaces
http://www.carleton.ca/space/