[Air-l] Hungarian and others

Alex Kuskis akuskis at ican.net
Thu Oct 7 10:08:09 PDT 2004

English-language dominance derives from the fact that all of the
Internet-related technologies originated in English language countries
(I know that the Web was first created at CERN in Geneva, but
it was created by an Englishman). What other language would they
have been created in? Furthermore, English is the lingua franca (as
French and Latin once were) of science, technology, civil aviation,
and world business, among other things. "Power instrument of de-
culturization"? Come now! The U.S. principally has provided the
world with a great technological gift, not without self-interest, to
be sure, but a gift nonetheless. With the technological infrastructure
more or less provided (although admittedly unevenly distributed),
isn't it up to other cultures to put their own face and linguistic stamp
on the Internet? What would motivate mainly English-speaking
countries to put up websites in Hungarian, Urdu, Swahili, or whatever?

The industrial revolution started in England, and the information
technology revolution started in the U.S. (with antecedents in England).
Such social-economic movements must start somewhere, and it
is natural that they use the language of their origins. Would you
rather forego such advances in the interests of local language pride?

In any case, English as a world language might be in decline,
and it might one day become necessary to learn Mandarin, as the
following article suggests...Alex Kuskis (first language, Latvian),
Wilfrid Laurier University, Ontario, Canada

English in Decline as a First Language, Study Says
Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
February 26, 2004

It may be time to brush up on your Mandarin.

According to one new study, the percentage of the global population that
grew up speaking English as its first language is declining. In addition, an
increasing number of people now speak more than one language.

In the future, English is likely to be one of those languages, but the
Mandarin form of Chinese will probably be the next must-learn language,
especially in Asia.

The status of English as a global language may peak soon," said David
Graddol, managing director of the English Company in Milton Keynes, England,
and the author of a new study on the future of language.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0226_040226_language.html#main