[Air-l] 'Virtual conference': The AoIR Members Site

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Thu Oct 7 15:26:31 PDT 2004

>In my opinion video is not necessari.
>
>In scientific context the important is "the text". All others is optyonally.
>Whith interaction ontime (IM) (coordination) and off time (forums+docs)
>(discussions) + Intranet is enouthg.
>------------------------------------

Paid AoIR members have been able to access all of the papers that
authors have sent us that were presented at the AoIR conferences via
the members section of the website since 2000. That's text -- lots
and lots of text direct from the conferences to you for a modest
membership fee (adjusted downward for students and residents of
non-OECD countries).

This very list, air-l, is also an "off time" interaction service aoir
provides at no charge to subscribers whether they are members or not
(there is a good deal of labor done by Charlie Breindahl and Jeremy
Hunsinger in ensuring the functioning of this list, as well as real
costs paid by the association to the provider).

The members section of our site is temporarily down for rebuilding,
but it will reopen in new and improved form with access to papers
restored as soon as we can get it done. The new members area will
have space(s) that can be used for real time discussion should people
want to organize such uses.

If you would like to help rebuild the members section of our site,
please let me know.

Nancy

--
Nancy Baym	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas