[Air-l] Why not make Aoir 5.0 "Virtual conference"?

Jonathan Marshall Jonathan.Marshall at uts.edu.au
Thu Oct 7 17:54:53 PDT 2004

For what its worth the very first internet conference i went to in Perth in 1966, which was organised by *one* person with no university or business affiliation, and no source of funds other than what they could raise, broadcast live images of most speeches, and used MOOs to allow participation by people who could not turn up.  Speakers responded to the MOO comments as these were projected on to a wall, and someone would type into the MOO what was being said for those who had not got the bandwith for images - fairly rare in those days.  It was a great success.

I have been to other small conferences since which seemed to manage to do web-broadcasts (the last one was put on by a uni department and basically organsied by a post-grad as far as i understand), but the live text worked pretty well and much more interactively.

There are heaps of ways of doing this, please don't be distracted by wanting to be state of the art - primitive is good.

For what its worth, the treatment given by US customs and immigration agents (or whatever) to many Australians (who are supposed to be mindless US allies) is such, that despite my wanting to go to the AOIR conference next year i'm not going to the US either.  my apologies for this. However a virtual conference would be great.

jon

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If