[Air-l] new Encyclopedia of HCI

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 7 19:17:38 PDT 2004

Folks,

I think that many of us would be interested to know that the Berkshire
Encyclopedia of Human-Comupter Interaction is now out. Edited by
sociologist William Sims Bainbridge, the two hefty volumes is an important
reference resource in our fast-growing field. It draws upon many branches
of social, behavioral, and information sciences, as well as computer
science, medicine, engineering, and design. It covers all aspects of HCI:

*applications (games, digital libraries, telecommuting)
*approaches (beta testing, ontologies)
*breakthroughs (ENIAC computer, Hollerith punch card)
*challenges (digital divide, hackers, privacy, spamming, viruses)
*components (Braille, fonts, spell checker)
*disciplines and HCI (artificial intelligence, law, sociology)
*implications (including 2 I co-authored on internet and society;
diffusion of the Internet)
*interfaces (adaptive interfaces, smart homes, virtual reality)
*methods (browsers, data mining, hypertext and hypermedia)

Many of the articles are short essays. They're accompanied by sidebars
(pride of authorship again: my "40-years of computing timeline' and my
"HCI love story"), illustrations, glossaries, a master bibliography, and
a popular culture database of more than 300 movies, television programs,
documentaries, stage productions, novels, science fiction, and even music.
(Note, I screwed up the last line in one movie entry: tell me which and
you get a coffee at the next conference.)

Contributors include editor William Sims Bainbridge, deputy director of
the National Science Foundation's Division of Information and Intelligent
Systems, and 175 other experts including Dharma Agrawal, John M. Carroll,
Jack Dongarra, Michael Goodchild, José-Marie Griffiths, Judith Klavans,
Judith S. Olson, Gary M. Olson, Gary Starkweather, and Barry Wellman.

Online: www.berkshirehci.com. Berkshire Encyclopedia of Human-Computer
Interaction. 2 vols. William Sims Bainbridge, ed. Berkshire Publishing
Group. September 2004. 1,000 pages. ISBN 0-9743091-2-5. $295.
Prepublicaton price: US$250 until 30 November.

Well, if you can't afford it, tell your library. It's really good.

Please note: I did get a free set for writing my pieces, but this is an
unpaid notice for a really nice piece of work.