[Air-l] digital future project

Laura O'Grady l.ogrady at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 12 10:41:45 PDT 2004

Hi Alla,

>On a personal note, I am currently a graduate student at Indiana
>University and I have just started working on my thesis project which
>deals with trust and the Internet. I was wondering if anyone here could
>recommend some seminal papers on trust, they can be from any perspective
>(ie social science, computer science, ect).

I have done some research in this area, in particular for health care web
sites.  You may find the terms trust, credibility and quality are used
interchangeably in the literature.  I found the BJ Fogg et al material
(including his book Persuasive Technology) to be excellent in clarifying
proper use of this terminology.  Here are a few references to get you started:

General background information on trust:

Deutsch, M. (1958). Trust and suspicion. Journal of Conflict Resolution,
2,  265- 279.
(perhaps the first publication on trust)

Deutsch, M. (1973). The resolution of conflict: Constructive and
destructive processes. New Haven, CN: Yale University Press.

Giffin, K. (1967). The contribution of studies of source credibility to a
theory of interpersonal trust in the communication process. Psychological
Bulletin, 68(2), 104-120.

Lewis, J. D. & Weigert, A. J. (1985). Trust as a social reality. Social
Forces, 63(4), 967-985.

Rempel, J. K., Holmes, J. G., & Zanna, M. P. (1985). Trust in close
relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 49(1), 95-112.

Computer trust references:

Bailey, B. P., Gurak, L. J. Konstan, J. A.  (2001). An examination of trust
production in computer mediated exchange.  Presented at the 7th Conference
on Human Factors and the Web. June 4 to 6, Madison, Wisconsin,
USA.  Retrieved on May 12th, 2002 from
http://www.optavia.com/hfweb/7thconferenceproceedings.zip/Bailey.pdf

Friedman, B., Kahn, P. H. & Howe, D. C. (2000).  Trust Online.  [Electronic
Version]. Communications of the ACM, 43(12), 34-40.

Fogg, B. J. & Tseng, H. (1999). The elements of computer
credibility.  [Electronic Version]. Proceeding of the CHI 99 conference on
Human factors in computing systems, USA, 80-89.

Shneiderman, B. (2000).  Designing trust into online experiences.
[Electronic Version]. Communications of the ACM, 43(12), 57-59.

Laura
_

Laura O'Grady
Ph.D. Candidate