[Air-l] Working Group on Online Components to AoIR Conferences

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Fri Oct 15 07:32:03 PDT 2004

have created a working group to investigate the possibilities for
online components to our conferences and figure out how to impliment
what can be done in Chicago for 2005 and in the long term. Tracy
Kennedy of the University of Toronto will be chairing this working
group. The charge is this:

Charge to the Working Group on Online Components to AoIR Conferences:

There is considerable interest in providing some form of online
accompaniment to our physical conference in Chicago and in years to
come. This working group is charged with:

1. Determining the audience or audiences for such an online system,
taking into account the means of internet access they may have and
any limitations they may have on access (e.g. slow connections, old
processors, disabilities, etc).

2. Coordinating with AoIR's Conference Management Committee, and in
particular Steve Jones the local host, to determine the *realistic*
possibilities for integrating an online component into the event in
2005.

3.  Proposing a specific plan for 2005 which includes an analysis of
the expense and determines how that cost is to be covered and who
will provide the labor to make it happen.

4. Determining a long range plan for developing online dimensions of
the conference beyond 2005, with attention to cost and labor as
above. Include specifications of what technologies a conference venue
must have in order to impliment this plan

5. Following up after the 2005 conference to assess the success of
what was done and modify future recommendations accordingly.

Thank you in advance for your willingness to assist the association
in this important matter.

Nancy

--
Nancy Baym 	http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas