[Air-l] access to papers online

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Fri Oct 15 10:03:09 PDT 2004

> these things work (and I may be incorrect), when people pay to go to a
> conference, they are paying for access to the materials that are
> presented there.  This includes not only the live sessions, but also the
> papers from those sessions (either digitally or hard copy).  Is this
> something that maybe varies by discipline?
>
> I'm curious, what is the rationale behind the decision to not make
> papers available to the attendees of the conferences in which they were
> presented?

Are you perhaps volunteering to do the grunt work that would make it
possible for AoIR to track non-members and keep track of which conferences
they attended (or didn't), and allow/disallow access to the papers
repository based on that information?  :)

This is a whole lot more work than it sounds like.  And it sounds like a
lot to start with.

--elijah