[Air-l] Re: conference paper availability

Dan L Burk burkx006 at umn.edu
Sun Oct 17 13:04:47 PDT 2004

This is not a legal issue.

The question of "publication" is irrelevant for most copyright purposes.
Publication is no longer a criterion for obtaining copyright in the United
States (or other Berne signatory nations) and hasn't been since the late
1980s.  Copyright attaches to the article as soon as it is fixed in a
tangible medium of expression, whether or not it is ever "published."
"Reprint" is not a legal or statutory status.

"Publication" can affect the duration of copyright in certain
circumstances, or affect some choice of law questions, but those matters
aren't at issue here.

There may be customs of trade in certain disciplines, or a variety of
business reasons, as to why a traditional "publisher" would be reluctant to
issue an article that has previously been available in an electronic
archive, but that has nothing to do with copyright.

DLB