[Air-l] Hungarian and others

J. J. japeks at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 08:59:09 PDT 2004

I agree with your sentiment, but I think your information is out of date.
The percentage of Websites in English is probably in the range of 60-65%, or
perhaps even less by now --- still out of proportion to speakers of English,
but far less than 97%.
Mark

Thank you for the correction. My information came from Robert Kozma’s
article in International Journal of Educational Development 24 (2004).
Although recently published, Kozma quotes a study by the Organization for
Economic Cooperation and Development from 2001 that puts the world’s
Internet content at 94% in English, “as measured by the number of links to
pages on secured servers” (p. 362).
The information very well might be dated.
Jarek

About 10% of the world's population has access to the Internet but 97% of
web sites are designed in English. If you need reference for these
statistics let me know but unless we recognize the importance and validity
of other languages in cyberspace, we can find ourselves on the receiving end
of the global spectrum.

If anything, we should encourage research and scholarly contribution in
other, lesser known (to the English-speaking world) languages.

Jarek

Mark Warschauer
Associate Professor, Dept. of Education and Dept. of Informatics
University of California, Irvine
tel: (949) 824-2526,  fax: (949) 824-2965
markw at uci.edu; http://www.gse.uci.edu/markw