[Air-l] Hungarian and others

Bram Dov Abramson bda at bazu.org
Tue Oct 5 13:33:14 PDT 2004

>Partly it's out of date but also it's skewed by
>measuring pages on secure servers.  Those are
>largely used for e-commerce and a very high
>proportion of them are in English (or at least
>were in English as of 2001, it's hard to say how
>that might have changed by now).

If I remember right, the OECD report in question's look at links to
secure servers (https, really) -- outsourced to Netcraft, who did the
actual work -- was an explicit attempt to measure e-commerce activity,
not general Web activity (which is being referred to here as "Internet"
activity, apparently).

I think that right next to it was a comparative figure for http
(non-secure) links, where English was a bit lower.

>Some statistical work was done for UNESCO here last year that indicates
>that there is vastly less language diversity on the internet than is
>routinely claimed.
>
>And I'm talking about whole orders of magnitude of difference,
>here, not just a few percentage points.

Elijah, that sounds quite interesting -- can you describe the
methodology?

cheers
Bram