[Air-l] AoIR conference venues

Maja van der Velden maja at globalagenda.org
Wed Oct 6 02:27:18 PDT 2004

Thank you Charlie for presenting this European perspective.

I would like to go even further in history. Because of our experiences
in World War II, I have learned to suspect all forms of registration
for profiling purposes, especially when they are situated in a context
lacking privacy assurances and fair juridical process. As researchers
and academics we need to discuss this with our American colleagues and
invite them to conferences in our countries while supporting them in
their attempts to change these unjust policies in their own country.

The European countries that signed the Schengen accord also have a
policy that restrict the free movement of people. However, the privacy
laws and juridical process is very different from that of the US.
Secondly, none of the US citizens visiting a so-called Schengen country
will be subjected to fingerprinting and photographing. Nor will their
name, address, and credit card details be known 15 minutes after they
board their plane at a US airport (European airlines now turn over 34
pieces of information about each passenger, within 15 minutes of
departure. Soon this will change, because of the Cat Stevens/Yusuf
Islam experience, and they will need this information before we even
board a plane).

Another concern are our colleagues from Muslim and/or Arab countries.
If we know that they are not able to attend conferences in the US, and
we continue to organise international conferences in the US, we accept
the politics of "us and them". Personally, I am not prepared to do
that.

I understand that the AoIR conference organisers for 2005 are a bit
overwhelmed by the reactions on the choice of venue. But things have
changed. We are not talking about frustrating logistics anymore. The
new security policies are made possible by the technologies many of us
are researching. Maybe we have been looking at these technologies in a
too optimistic framework.

Greetings,

Maja
(Netherlands/Norway)