[Air-l] call for virtual volunteers

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Thu Oct 7 07:52:56 PDT 2004

> I don't think we need people running cameras per se. What about IChat or
> Web-Cams in sessions? What I am thinking is the session organizer can
> try and organize this for his/her session. If we have laptops in every
> presentation room, we could have IChat or Web-Cams with the laptop and
> projector. I don't think it is overly complicated (but I could be
> wrong).

things like netmeeting or ichat are pretty good for point-to-point
communications, but pretty awful for 'broadcast-style' communications.

if you've been around for a few years, you may remember the CUSeeMe
concept of a 'reflector'.  it'd take one or more of those, off-site, each
with significant [meaning "a whole lot more than a home user is going to
have"] available (both upstream and downstream) bandwidth, to handle a
webcast arranged in this way.

so this puts us right back at the "cost" issue again.  bandwidth isn't
free, and neither are network uplinks from conference venues.

--elijah