[Air-l] More thought on 'Virtual conference'

meiwu at umac.mo meiwu at umac.mo
Thu Oct 7 23:24:47 PDT 2004

Dear all:

First I’d like to clarify that my suggestion of the “virtual conference”
is meant only to bring in some new ideas for more participatory Aoir
conferences; it is not a complaint at all. In fact I’m very grateful for
all the things provided by Aoir and specifically the contributions made by
people on this list. Aoir is one of the few academic groups that I
participate and respect.

As for my idea of something online simultaneously with a “real
conference,” it is inspired by several conferences I attended in China and
in this part of the world, where a seminar could be broadcasted online
(not necessarily to be visual images, it could be text or sound) and
received text-based response from audience. In the first annual conference
of China’s Computer-mediated Communication Association last May in Najing,
some seminars were broadcast through sina.com simultaneously to the
national audience.

As for costs, to attend a 3-day international conference (in the US or
Europe) would normally cost me about HK16,000 (US$2,000) per trip
(including registration fee, airfare, accommodation, etc), plus the time
factor, over 40 hours on airplane, in airports and other vehicles in a
return trip. I would rather pay half that money to some virtual conference
technicians so that I can participate in a conference without traveling.
Nowadays, we also have to take into consideration the threat of
international terrorism. It is definitely no point for anyone to risk
her/his life to go to some places which are always under terrorist attack
alert just to attend some academic conferences.

For who should do it? I definitely don’t suggest that we ourselves do it
all the way as such work requires technical expertise and equipment. A
couple of suggestions:
1.      The most feasible way is to contract it out to a special virtual
conference company and charge it to those who want to attend as virtual
audience;
2.      Whoever wants to organize a virtual seminar (virtual panel), be
responsible for it themselves.
Of course, virtual volunteers may be needed in the process. I am very
interested in joining a team to exploring the potentials of a virtual
conference.

WM