[Air-l] email lists available of UK Internet users?

David Brake david.brake at cfrq.net
Fri Sep 17 10:37:12 PDT 2004

I am contemplating an email-based survey of home page owners in the UK. I
have some sympathy with Krishnamurthy, S. (2004) "The Ethics of Conducting
E-Mail Surveys" in Readings in Virtual Research Ethics : Issues and
Controversies, (Buchanan, E. A. ed.) Information Science Pub., Hershey,
PA, http://faculty.washington.edu/sandeep/d/emailethics.pdf
who suggests unsolicited survey requests could be considered spam and that
academics should share lists of opted in email users where possible.

So on the off chance this is possible has anyone assembled a reasonably
large store of email addresses of UK Internet users - especially of UK
home page owners? If I were to assemble a list of UK home page owners and
received agreement from those contacted would others be willing and able
to share it for their own research? If we could agree on a purposive
sampling technique that would be methodologically (and ethically)
defensible would anyone else be willing to help me to build such a list?

--
David Brake, PhD researcher in Media and Communications, London School of
Economics & Political Science