[Air-l] Conference absenteeism?

Mark D. Johns johnsmar at luther.edu
Sun Sep 26 08:26:47 PDT 2004

At 09:37 PM 9/25/2004, you wrote:
>I would be interested in knowing people's experiences at other conferences.

My highly subjective and non-scientific reaction is that we do far better
at AoIR than some of the big conferences, such as the National
Communication Association. Yes, we had some people who had to cancel
because they were being chased by hurricanes and what not, but generally
people were there, and even more, there were people present to hear the
presentations. I can't count how many times I've been in NCA sessions where
the panelists -- sometimes only two of the four scheduled -- merely
presented to one another. Cassandra, I think what you experienced was
something of a fluke for AoIR.

------
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Communication/Linguistics,
Luther College, Decorah, Iowa
http://faculty.luther.edu/~johnsmar/