[Air-l] PCs were invented in 1968

Bernie Hogan bernie.hogan at utoronto.ca
Sun Sep 12 20:49:37 PDT 2004

I'd like to briefly build on the discussion with a mention of
Old-Computers  http://www.old-computers.com/

This hobby site is both interesting and comprehensive, both for personal
computers and gaming consoles. The computer "history" section only has 3
years in it (77-79), but the "museum" has computers dating back to 1960.

I would highly recommend the pictures section (the "Fun" menu). They include
a number of old advertisements and make a number of astute comments,
particularly regarding the placement of girls in the ads (often looking
frustrated).

By the way - if you browse the museum you'll note they have a listing by
year and as it turns out:
"In 1960, Heath Company launched the Heathkit EC-1, the first analogue
computer (almost) anyone could afford."
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=787
And it notes the PDP-8 was released in 1965.

Take Care,
BERNiE

You'll note that Roger Clark wrote the message below on 9/12/04 8:44 PM.