[Air-l] Conference absenteeism?

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Sun Sep 26 12:33:49 PDT 2004

I had the experience of coming to a couple of panels for a specific paper and then having the person a no-show, one panel even had only one presenter show up!

Still, I agree that AOIR is better than most, especially in people actually attending panels. I have had "death slots" (last half day) at NCA and WSCA and had 2 people show up. I figured with the mix-up on Wednesday night lodging that there would be no one there for my presentations (both were on Wednesday morning), but we had 13 in the first and something like 25+ in the second!! Talk about ending on a high note.

No convention or conference I have ever attended comes close to AOIR for the level of engagement and the intellectual exchanges, not to mention cutting edge, interesting research from different fields. Most conventions make me tired, AOIR always fires me up.

I really want to thank you to everyone who collectively makes these events so successful.

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington