[Air-l] Manuscript and synopsis available online for CAMGIRLS: Webcams, LiveJournals and the Personal as Political in the Age of the Global Brand.

Theresa M. Senft tqs1450 at nyu.edu
Wed Sep 15 09:15:09 PDT 2004

Hello to all pals at AoIR!

In the interest of fostering meets with like-minded souls in Sussex, I
wanted to stop by the list and make some announcements.

On  October 29, I'll be defending my dissertation, entitled, "Camgirls:
Webcams, LiveJournals and the Personal as Political in the Age of the
Global Brand." The study, which combines auto-ethnography (I had a webcam
in my own home for a year ) and postcolonial feminist critique, will be
published in 2005 by Peter Lang as part of their terrific Digital
Formations series. The five chapter titles are as follows

Chapter One: The personal as political in the age of the global brand
Chapter Two: I'd rather be a camgirl than a cyborg
Chapter Three: From telepresence to tele-ethicality
Chapter Four: The public, the private and the pornographic
Chapter Six: From "sisters" to sisters

AoIRers who would like to look over the document in its entirety (it still
needs a final copy edit) can go here:

http://www.echonyc.com/~janedoe/diss/camgirls.aoir.pdf

This is a password protected document which can be opened with the password
"camgirls".

I've also assembled a ten page chapter-by-chapter synopsis, so that you can
pick and choose the material in the dissertation that best dialogues with
your own research interests. The synopsis is at
http://www.echonyc.com/~janedoe/diss/synopsis.htm

Finally, those looking for video material for their classes might be
interested in a forthcoming documentary entitled WEBCAM GIRLS, shot by
Canadian director Aerlyn Weissman. Although I haven't seen the doc yet (and
I'm in it!), I understand from AoIR'er Mary Bryson (who saw a preview in
Canada) that the film is quite good. Feel free to drop a line if you are
interested in that, and I'll get you in touch with the distributors.

Okay, that's more than enough about me and I promise not to do that again.
Like many of you, I'll be in Sussex, and am hoping to meet as many new
folks as possible. If you have work that dialogues with mine--or if you
even think it might--free to drop a line at terri.senft at nyu.edu and I'll
buy the first beer in Sussex. If you aren't going to the conference, you
can of course feel free to drop a line as well, and I'll take care of that
beer some other time.

Best,
Terri

Theresa M. Senft
Auxiliary Adviser, Gallatin School of Individualized Study
Adjunct Assistant Professor , Interactive Telecommunications Program
New York University, 719 Broadway, Room 531
(212) 998-7333         terri.senft at nyu.edu