[Air-l] Pix, absenteeism

Sheizaf Rafaeli sheizaf at rafaeli.net
Sun Sep 26 23:16:31 PDT 2004

My Sussex pix are here:

http://pix.rafaeli.net/AoIRCOnference2004

(or, for the DNS challenged, try
http://gsb.haifa.ac.il/~sheizaf/tmunot/AoIRConference2004/  )

On absenteeism -- I too am unhappy with very-late cancellations. But am
reminded these are people. Hundreds of them. One can expect a certain
percentage of unexpected developments. We did have over 40 cancellations
before the  last draft of the program went out. Then about two dozen more
during the last week. I think only one or two sessions had to be cancelled
without advance notice (that makes for 1%!)

My experience with other conferences (including HICSS, ICA, ICIS, APA,
Academy of Management) is that our rate of no-shows (around 10-15%) is on
par, or even better. Given the European venue, participation from several
dozen countries, and the absence of a traditionally set date (like US
memorial day for ICA, or second week in August like APA), I think we are
doing fine.

Sheizaf

Prof. Sheizaf Rafaeli
Center for the Study of the Information Society
and the Graduate School of Business
University of Haifa.       Tel +972-4-8249578
sheizaf at rafaeli.net    http://sheizaf.rafaeli.net
 Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.