[Air-l] Conference absenteeism?

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 27 10:26:17 PDT 2004

Yes, yes, yes, on both counts.

A Thursday to Sunday makes much more sense for teaching schedules.

A chair and some sort of time keeper is critical. I presented for my spouse who could not make it and she had received an email at the last moment asking her to chair her panel, which I ended up doing (she had earlier notified AIOR that she was not coming). It's pretty basic and I think that a regular panel member can also chair.

I dislike the chair/respondent format where she/he discourses on the presentations. It takes away from already tight presentation times and especially questions/comments, the latter which are most important (to me anyway). Let the audience/speakers draw the connections, it's what we do.

Basically, all someone has to do is to introduce the session title, each presenter when their turn comes, and get an audience member to time people. Since my sessions had no chair, and I saw some presenters in other session go long, I just asked someone to volunteer to time and multiple audience members offered. It didn't effect my ability to present.

We could just start a tradition where the first or last presenter chairs, simple.

My thoughts.

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication