[Air-l] WEBCAM GIRLS

Mary Bryson mary.bryson at ubc.ca
Wed Sep 15 12:01:02 PDT 2004

On 9/15/04 9:15 AM, "Theresa M. Senft" <tqs1450 at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Finally, those looking for video material for their classes might be
> interested in a forthcoming documentary entitled WEBCAM GIRLS, shot by
> Canadian director Aerlyn Weissman. Although I haven't seen the doc yet (and
> I'm in it!), I understand from AoIR'er Mary Bryson (who saw a preview in
> Canada) that the film is quite good.

Yes. Resoundingly. The video is excellent and would be a very appropriate
and interesting documentary to show in any course dealing with media,
gender, sexuality, culture and the like. There is a strong analytical line
running throughout provided by the on-screen commentary of the engagingly
eloquent (soon-to-be Dr.) Senft that draws together the snippets of various
cam-grrls. And of course, just to make things even more intriguing and
appropriately situated, the "expert" - Senft - is also represented in
relation to her own webcam - a very productive inversion of the usual
representation of expertise. Weissman is a brilliant director. She manages
to craft a narrative concerning the cam grrls that insists on a telling of
their stories that highlights the agency that accrues to these entrepreneurs
and represents a whole different way of thinking about "women and
technology", without being <rah rah!> about it.