[Air-l] Hello and is there a definition of 'personal home pages'?

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Thu Sep 9 08:59:44 PDT 2004

> I've been lurking on the list a while but have come forward because I am
> finding it difficult to do something which seemed at first relatively
> un-problematic - determining what counts as a personal home page.
> Wherever I draw the line there seem to be sites that fall just outside
> it that might fit. Is there a commonly-understood definition?

See "Genres and the Web: Is the personal home page the first uniquely
digital genre?" by Andrew Dillon and Barbara Gushrowski.  Available at
www.ischool.utexas.edu/ ~adillon/publications/genres_web.pdf

and also available as:

Dillon, A., & Gushrowski, B. A. (2000). Genres and the Web: Is the
Personal Home Page the First Uniquely Digital Genre? Journal of the
American Society for Information Science, 51(2), 202-205.

Also see "Personal Home Pages on the Web: A Review of Research" by Nicola
Döring - available in JCMC at
http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol7/issue3/doering.html

You might also try this one:

Bauman, M. L. (1999). The Evolution of Internet Genres. Computers and
Composition, 16(2), 269-282.

or this one:

Yates, J., & Orlikowski, W. (1992). Genres of Organizational
Communication: A Structurational Approach to Studying Communication and
Media. Academy of Management Review, 17(2), 299-326.

You might also check out week 4 of Susan Herring's syllabus for her
Content Analysis for the Web course, available at:

http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~herring/web.syll.04.html

If you slog through all of this you will have a pretty good grip on
personal home pages and 'net genre theory in general...

--elijah