[Air-l] CFP:SIGGROUP Bulletin special issue on Virtual Communities:

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Sep 10 08:56:22 PDT 2004

Call for Submissions: SIGGROUP Bulletin special issue on Virtual
Communities: ''Less of You, More of Us: The Political Economy of Power
in Virtual Communities''

Editors:

  Jason Nolan, Knowledge Media Design Institute, University of Toronto

  Jeremy Hunsinger, Center for Digital Discourse and Culture, Virginia
Tech

Submissions due January 15, 2005

''Less of You, More of Us: The Political Economy of Power in Virtual
Communities''

  The goal is to bring into the dialogue a number of researchers on
virtual community who are looking at the borders and peripheral
locations that are ignored, unknown or explicitly overlooked. Within
the notion that community, often the walls we build around ourselves
form  mechanism of power and preference, this issue will examine online
communities that are excluded or self-excluding from the dominant
forms, norms and discourses. For example, there are a large number of
researchers inquiring into the recent blogging phenomenon, but I have
heard many explicitly exclude technologies/communities such as
LiveJournal.com with his 3.8 million users (1.7 active), and discount
the value of  teenage bloggers, who are mostly female (67% of
Livejournal users). Because researchers tend to cover familiar
territories, we encourage authors to explore alternatives. Our issue
will provide researchers with the opportunity to expose the readership
to a wider sense of virtual community and what is going on at the edges
of the event horizon.

  Some of the anticipated themes are: hacking virtual community; the
overlooked, broken down, subverted or reconceptualized virtual
communities; borders and breaches, the ordering of virtual community;
hacktivism; sexually focused virtual communities; questioning the value
of online community; collective intelligence is just the fordism of the
mind; the Slash Fiction communities; MOOs the early forgotten virtual
communities; and the code beneath the community - exploring programmer
and system administrative communities.

  Submissions should be sent to both: jason.nolan at utoronto.ca and
jhuns at vt.edu
  Web site: http://www.acm.org/sigs/siggroup

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments