[Air-l] absenteeism... and some con-reflections...

Nils Zurawski nils.zurawski at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Sep 27 03:06:01 PDT 2004

Dear all,

I seem to have been lucky, not to have been
sitting in many sessions with people missing..
except for my own panel on identities and
internet... (localities)... out of 6, three were
present.. one panelist was cancelling on monday
.. so not much to do about that... then only 7
people showed up for the session at all... but
nonetheless it was worth it and for those of you
that haven't been there .. you can take a look at
http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/russ-cyb/library/seminars/AOIR2004/aoir_2004.htm
to see the abstracts and soon the full papers of
the people that presented...... I hope that we
can keep the discussion going for a bit, as it
was interesting and many important issues as to
how we are researching on identity issues,
diaspora and migrants use of internet technology
came up. interesting to note, that the sesson was
only attended by non-native english speakers..
which may say something about the importance of
the issue for groups tha tdo not live in their
home countries or people that are dealing with
these issues... the breakdown was 5 Germans, 1
Brasilian, 1 Polish, 1 Russian, 1
German-American-English and 1 Indian.

On the conference: Praise for Kate and all her
work (and that of her staff of course)
some remarks for next year.  I was a bit
dissappointed with the sessions, as most had no
chair that could focus the issues and tried steer
through the papers. Many times the papers seemed
isolated from each other, when in fact there were
common issues... a chair could bundle them and
thus a discussion would be much more fruitful.

the last day... I know there are many papers and
too little time.. but given the travel schedules
and the attendance concentration, would it be
worth to think about less session on the last
slot of the last day... because I believe many
participants are gone by then, or are about to
leave... so less people could then hear fewer
session and it would be better for the presenters
and the audiences on the last day... the first
can have 2 or three more sessions, even longer on
that day... as most people are already there and
still curious and not too tired... ???

comments welcome..

best  and thanks for a great and stimulating time in Sussex.

nilz

--
Dr. Nils Zurawski
Universität Hamburg