[Air-l] PCs were invented in 1968

Monica Murero monica.murero at unifi.it
Sat Sep 11 13:03:39 PDT 2004

> article on the history of computing, from Einiac to
> Pentiums and wireless. Does anyone know of any?

Hi Berry and all, here some references:

Bootstrapping: Douglas Engelbart,  2000. Coevolution, and the  Origins of Personal Computing. Stanford, CA: Stanford University
Press.

Rheingold, Howard. 2000. Tools for Thought: The History and Future of Mind-Expanding Technology. 2nd Rev. ed: MIT Press.

Winston, Brian. 1998. Media technology & society: a history from the telegraph to the internet. London: Routledge

Smith, Douglas K., and Robert C. Alexander. 1988. Fumbling the Future: How Xerox invented, then ignored, the first personal
computer. New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc.

Reckoners : the prehistory of the digital computer, from relays to the stored program concept, 1935-1945 / Paul E. Ceruzzi

A history of modern computing; Ceruzzi, Paul E.

Pfaffenberger, Bryan (1988)  "The Social Meaning of the
Personal Computer: Or, Why the Personal Computer Revolution  was No Revolution".  Anthropological Quarterly, Vol 61, pp 39-47

Campbell-Kelly and Aspray: Computer: A History of the Information Machine

Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer by Paul Freiberger & Michael Swaine (1984)

Tracy Kidder: The Soul of a New Machine

Hafner, Katie, and Matthew Lyon. 1998. Where wizards stay up late: the origins of the Internet. New York: Touchstone.

Janet Abbate: Inventing the Internet

Waldrop, M. Mitchell. 2001. The Dream Machine. J. C. R. Licklider and the Revolution That Made Computing Personal. New York:
Penguin.

Online Resources:

http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/overviews.html

 http://www.pbs.org/nerds/

Usenet group alt.folklore.computers

I hope it helps .
Monica
Prof.  Monica Murero, PhD
Director,  E-Life International Institute
Professor in Communication and Media Integration

University of Florence MICC - Center of Excellence
for Media Integration and Communication
RAI Sede Regionale Toscana (III p.) Largo A. De Gasperi, 1 50136  Firenze  (Italy)
Tel. + 390 55 666 445
Fax + 390 55 666 465
http://www.micc.unifi.it/organization.htm
E-mail: monica.murero at unifi.it

International Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR)
AoIR Executive Board - First Appointed Seat
http://www.captaindoc.com/interviews/interviews12.html