[Air-l] Conference absenteeism?

Ulla Bunz bunz at scils.rutgers.edu
Sun Sep 26 10:10:08 PDT 2004

I would concur with Mark Johns that AoIR does fairly well with regard to
show/no show panelists. I have chaired panels at the larger
Communication conferences and also at AoIR, and my policy is to start
right on time with the first listed presenter who is actually present.
If the other person shows up along the way, then they will have to go
last and deal with it if there is not enough time or less time for their
presentation. Then of course, it's also my policy to a) indicate time
throughout presentations, and b) stand up and eventually interrupt a
speaker if they go over their allotted limit. I've been told that's
rude, but I think it's even ruder to have one person present for such a
long time that another has only a couple of minutes left. Already at
AoIR we allot 15-20 minutes per paper. At the big Communication
conferences you often have only about 10 minutes.
Hopefully people who are interested in each others' presentations find
time to continue the conversation during breaks or over lunch.
Ulla

Ulla Bunz
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication