[Air-l] Permissions for web images that no longer exist (APPLY IT)

Douglas Eyman eymand at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 04:49:33 PDT 2005

I concur with Don Holeman's suggestions -- as the editor of an online
academic journal, I would certainly argue that use of the images for
purposes of critique or rhetorical effect in a scholarly work constitutes
fair use, and in fact would prefer that authors work under that assumption
and *not* make an effort to secure copyright permissions in those cases
(because the query weakens the fair use exception, and because most, if not
all, commercial copyright owners will say "no" regardless of fair use).

But this particular question relates to the issue of orphan works -- what if
you can't find the copyright owner? There is a project currently underway to
suggest alternatives to current copyright law with regard to orphan works
(which, fair use aside, basically leaves you SOL); you can find out more
about the problem and proposed solution at http://eldred.cc/

In a similar vein, if you are the originator of a work that is hosted on the
Internet (and might, therefore, be a candidate for orphan status at some
time in the future, as sites migrate or hosts change ownership, etc.), I
strongly recommend licensing your work under a creative commons license
(http://creativecommons.org) --if you are able to do so, which may not be
the case if you are doing work for hire for instance -- so that future
scholars and researchers won't have to make the decision to not use (or
cite) your work in the future.

Douglas Eyman, co-Editor
Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy
http://english.ttu.edu/kairos/