[Air-l] Permissions for web images that no longer exist

Gilbert B. Rodman gbrodman at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 27 06:01:48 PDT 2005

If the publisher wants you to get permissions, but you've got not ready
access to the permission holders (or even any sense who those might be),
there's always the sort of notice/disclaimer that reads something like:
"every effort has been made to secure permission for use of copyrighted
materials.  in the event of a copyright query, please contact the
publishers."  Your publisher may not want to do that, but it's a common
enough practice that it's worth asking about.  If nothing else, it helps to
demonstrate that you did, in fact, engage in good faith efforts to locate
relevant copyright holder -- especially if you keep a paper/e-mail trail of
those efforts.

cheers
gil