[Air-l] Unit of analysis

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 21:48:07 PDT 2005

It's a well-known problem and has been addressed by
those working in virtual research methods. I would
start by taking a very long look at this paper:

Howard, Philip N. "Network Ethnography and the
Hypermedia Organization: New Media, New Organizations,
New Methods." New Media & Society 4, no. 4 (2002):
550-74.

Foot & Schneider have defined the websphere as a unit
of analysis, a particularly fruitful approach that has
worked well in their research.

AlSteven M. Schneider & Kirsten Foot, "Web Sphere
Analysis: An Approach to Studying Online Action", In
C. Hine (Ed.), Virtual Methods: Issues in Social
Research on the Internet. Oxford: Berg Publishers. (In
Press).

Steven M. Schneider & Kirsten A. Foot, "The Web as an
Object of Study", New Media and Society , V. 6, N.1,
114-122, 2004.

I'm sure there are other sources but these really
inform my perspective on the UofA -

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD candidate, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480
Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator & Internet Researcher
Room T2.12, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Tuesdays or Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html