[Air-l] Articles and Books on Interviewing

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 19:09:23 PDT 2005

I would call some of these methods listed in Batinic,
et al., "social psychology" but there's lots of room
for exploration. I don't specifically remember online
interviews but their techniques were generally very
useful for a variety of online data collection.

>From the publisher's blurb: "The studies reported
utilize Web-based questionnaires, Web experiments,
observations of virtual worlds, case narrations,
content analyses, and analysis of mailing-lists and
other log data."

Batinic, B., Reips, U.-D., & Bosnjak, M. (Eds.).
(2002). Online Social Sciences. Seattle: Hogrefe &
Huber.

I personally found Wengraf to be a good source for
interview methods, particularly biographical interview
(nothing to do with online interviewing).

Wengraf, T. (2001). Qualitative research interviewing:
Biographic narrative and semi-structured methods.
Thousand Oaks: Sage.

He's got another book:

Bornat, J., Wengraf, T., & Chamberlayne, P. (Eds.).
(2000). The Turn to Biographical Methods in Social
Science. London: Routledge.

Of course there's Denzin.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD candidate, School of Environ. Science,
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480
Sustainable Forestry Mentoring Coordinator & Internet Researcher
Room T2.12, +61 (0)2 6620 3577 Tuesdays or Mobile 0438 233 344
http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/rsm/staff/pages/drall/index.html