[Air-l] article and discussion on 'information overload'

J Sternberg netberg at compuserve.com
Mon Apr 18 09:48:16 PDT 2005

For those interested in issues related to information overload, an
eloquent discussion that stands up well to the test of time can be found
in Neil Postman's 1992 book, _Technopoly: The surrender of culture to
technology_ (New York: Alfred A. Knopf). Among my favorite passages in
this book:

"From millions of sources all over the globe and beyond, through every
possible channel and medium -- light waves, airwaves, ticker tapes,
computer banks, telephone wires, television cables, satellites, printing
presses -- information pours in. Behind it, in every imaginable form of
storage -- on paper, on video and audio tape, on discs, film, and
silicon chips -- is an even greater volume of information waiting to be
retrieved. Like the Sorcerer's Apprentice, we are awash in information.
And all the sorcerer has left us is a broom. Information has become a
form of garbage, not only incapable of answering the most fundamental
human questions, but barely useful in providing coherent direction to
the solution of even mundane problems. To say it still another way: The
milieu in which Technopoly flourishes is one in which the tie between
information and human purpose has been severed, i.e., information
appears indiscriminately, directed at no one in particular, in enormous
volume and at high speeds, and disconnected from theory, meaning, or
purpose.... We are a culture consuming itself with information, and many
of us do not even wonder how to control the process. We proceed under
the assumption that information is our friend, believing that cultures
may suffer grievously from a lack of information, which, of course, they
do. It is only now beginning to be understood that cultures may also
suffer grievously from information glut, information without meaning,
information without control mechanisms." (pp. 69-70)

Janet Sternberg, Ph.D.
Fordham University
Media Ecology Association
http://www.media-ecology.org