[Air-l] interesting article about net censorship in china

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Wed Apr 20 04:34:24 PDT 2005

but... this has been covered in the news too...  at least the wgig for
wsis has been covered.  it is interesting.  but it is unclear what you
mean by 'running the internet'.  if you mean icann, which is the only
bit that really is tied to the u.s. government, though tenuously... I
hardly think that human readable domain names, which is pretty much all
they do, is 'running the internet'....  even if, for instance one
claims that icann is running the internet, under the ausipices of the
u.s. commerce, you would still be hard pressed to say it is a u.s.
organization, or non-representative of international interests(granted
though, only certain types of interests are represented well)  if you
mean ietf, iab, irtf, isoc, w3c... well those are all open
organizations with solid international credentials.

now do any of those organizations really run the internet?  or govern
it?  each does in some way, to some extent, but none does it entirely,
nor do the whole of them govern it entirely.  most of the internet is
governed by the endpoints, and those that profit from them,  which is
why censorship is important, because it shows precisely that fact,
that countries can govern the internet as well.

>>> http://hilltop.bradley.edu/~ell/
>>> http://gcc.bradley.edu/mm/