[Air-l] blogs and value

Sashay sashay at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 27 07:24:07 PDT 2005

The drive towards blogging is facilitated, IMO, by the perceived ease of
use of blogging software. This isn't a new trend, of course, but it is
becoming more obviously observable through the blogging world. Because
the basic denominator of a blog is posts done in reverse chronological
order, blogging lends itself to news and one-way communications such as
editorial columns, corporate news, press releases, and the like. The
speed with which one can quickly get a message out using blogging
software is unparalleled at the moment. Say what you might about Wikis
but they aren't as easy to use as most blogging software and solutions
from Blogger and Typepad feel a lot like using Microsoft Word.

As for the concept of pushing your message to users through RSS rather
than pulling them to your site to get your messages within a certain
context, it would seem that once again, the pendulum has swung back to
the push. Again, not a new phenomenon. I've seen it fluctuate back and
forth over my years of working in corporate communications. Do we email
them the information or just post it to the intranet? The tradeoffs in
each are what usually start the pendulum swinging again.

What I'd like to see a study explore is the ego/vanity aspects of
blogging. I blog, but I do it more to sort out my own thoughts and
catalogue sites and interesting net phenomenon. I don t' care as much
about whether I get readers or not. However, I suspect many do care and
I have to wonder if the wholesale adoption of RSS feeds pushed out to
people are an attempt to feel your blogging time is justified by
ensuring that your message is getting out there.

Those are a few of my random thoughts on this phenomenon.

Tamara Paradis